Cranberry Pond Paddle - Skills Clinic & Sightseeing
A nice and low-key paddle at the base of Mt. Toby where you will have the opportunity to become comfortable with using long kayaks and rudders.
If you are considering a longer trip with Adventure East, but aren't quite sure what to expect, this is a great place to start as we will cover techniques and procedures that are useful to both newer and more experienced (or intrepid) paddlers. We will cover topics such as: adjusting the rudder and outfitting the boat, beginning the paddle with style, basic forward strokes and steering, and ending your excursions upright and dry from the knees up. We will also demonstrate what to do in the event of a capsize.
For the more experienced paddlers, we may explore wet-exits and practice self-help and assisted rescue techniques. Though this will not be a rolling clinic, if you have experience rolling a kayak, you will be invited to practice this, as well.
No worries: this won't be all work and no play! We can expect to see waterfowl, raptors, and turtles as we make our way around this secluded patch of paradise.
- Date: June 3, 2021
- Time: 4:00pm - 6:00pm
- Age Level: 6 and up
- Fitness Level: Able to sit on the ground and stand up unassisted, able to swim several feet unassisted.
- Skill Level: Beginner
- Price: $55
- Kayak and paddle
- PFD appropriate to water conditions and your needs
- A snack and water/beverages
- Dry storage for small personal items
- An opportunity to learn and/or practice paddling skills
**In all AE programs, we encourage you to use the gear most comfortable to you or appropriate to the activity. If you intend to bring your own equipment, reach out at least 48-hours prior so we may make final plans for a safe and enjoyable day.
What to bring:
- Clothing for paddling and dry clothing
- Footwear for paddling and dry land footwear
- Sunglasses - polarized ideal
- Sunscreen and hat
- Waterproof camera!