Saw Mill Hills Vernal Pool Discovery Experience - 4/10
$39.00 per person
Avis Circle, Northampton MA (Please park along the curb ensuring not to block any mailboxes.)
Rising spring temperatures and thawing rains are the primordial signals to dormant life to awaken. These waters from the winter melt and spring rain congregate in low areas known as vernal pools and provide an important habitat for these awakening creatures.
Join naturalist John Body on this two hour walk in the woods as we explore the vernal pools of Saw Mill Hills. Learn about this unique habitat and how salamanders, fairy shrimp, and wood frogs have adapted to survive from one season to the next. A rocky woodland originally named for the extensive logging that took place in the 19th century, Saw Mill Hills is one of the many wonderful conservation areas in the town of Northampton. The area supports several large vernal pools that are perfect for explorations just like this one.
You won't want to miss out on this one of a kind experience.
Please note: This event is on permanently protected open space owned by the City of Northampton. There is no charge for access to Northampton Open Spaces, and the Adventure East fee is for our programming. A portion of our programming fee is donated to Kestrel Land Trust to support their mission of protecting lands such as this.
- Dates: April 10, 2021, April 17, 2021
- Time: 9:00am - 11:00am
- Age Level: 10 and up
- Fitness Level: This is an easy walk on a wooded trail with some rocky sections. There are some uphill and downhill stretches on the trail.
- Skill Level: All
- Price: $39 per person
- Guided hike
- Nets to capture - and release! - samples for up close observation
- Group First Aid Kit
- Great experience with one of the region's top naturalists
- An opportunity to support the mission of Kestrel Land Trust in their mission to conserve natural habitats like Saw Mill Hills.
What to bring:
- Waterproof boots/Shoes that might get wet