Age Level: 16 and up
Fitness Level: Fit
Skill Level: Advanced: Ski Touring Advanced: Skier/Boarder
This is a three-hour group lesson in backcountry skiing. We will be traveling uphill so we can then ski back down! We will cover the following topics:
- Putting skins on your skis
- Skinning technique
- Making turns going uphill
- Transitioning from uphill mode to downhill mode
- Removing, folding and storing your skins
This is not a learn to ski class; you should already know how to ski on intermediate trails that are not groomed. The terrain we will ski down on can include beginner, intermediate or expert terrain depending on our location and group abilities. One of the exciting parts of backcountry skiing is the variety of conditions and terrain. You’ll gain an appreciation for many different snow conditions.
NOTE: Thunderbolt is for advanced skiers, and you should be experienced skiing in steep narrow terrain with variable snow conditions.
- Three-hour backcountry course
- Backcountry ski guide
What to bring:
- Skis or splitboard
- Winter clothing appropriate for conditions
- Backpack to carry your skins, extra layers, water, snacks, etc.
Meeting point: Bellows South Trailhead